Sunday, June 27, 2010

I’m baaaack

OK, so it’s been over a month since I’ve shared with the world what’s been going on in Jakewood. But, with all due respect, I feel I should be granted a wee bit of leeway these past six or eight weeks.

In what’s quickly become the busiest time of my life, I never could have conjured up the sheer madness that has been my life lately. From coaching Little League during the regular season to taking on the younger All-Star Team in the post season (although my assistant coaches really did more work, thank you so much for all their help!), I was also involved in a little party yesterday, an amazing night over a year in the making.

You know, my wedding?

Holly and I got married yesterday evening, surrounded by friends and family who flew in from all across the country. It was indeed the greatest night of my life, a true event that will forever be ingrained in my memory thanks to those who attended. Pictures will be coming soon, thanks solely to the work of Ben Reed – by far the most amazing photographer anybody could ever ask for!

However, it hasn’t all been pure joy. Just less than two weeks ago my grandfather finally passed away following a short battle with lung cancer. The funeral was held on Monday, just five days before our 0001677334-01-2_214401wedding. But, like I said during my speech as I toasted my mother at the wedding, it was only fitting that we gathered soon after experiencing the lowest of lows to celebrate the highest of highs.

Grandpa, you will be truly missed. Rest in piece forever.

The days leading up to the funeral were obviously cumbersome, but even more so as I was charged with  writing the obituary. (You can read the entire obit here). Thanks in large part to my former journalism advisor Nils Rosdhahl from North Idaho College, I was able to work with my grandmother, mother, aunts and uncles to tailor the endearing article so fitting for the greatest man I’ve ever known.

Nevertheless, I’ve since learned the best way in dealing with these things is simply not to dwell on the fact that I’ve lost somebody so paramount in my upbringing, but rather celebrate the life of and memories of the incredible man who shall never be forgotten.

As cliché as it may sound, I truly believe that while one life has ended a new one is now beginning. The best possible way to honor my grandfather is simply to spend my life affecting those around me as positively as he did his.

And that starts with my new bride: Holly Beth Donahue:

36854_574919749333_28200780_33570494_1203558_n

1 Comment:

Me~Kelly said...

should have guessed you wrote the obit jake. it was very good. so sorry for the loss, i know how much he meant to all of you grandkids.
congrats on the wedding! Lis said it was very beautiful :)