Saturday, February 13, 2010

My Grandpa, the comedian

For anyone that doesn’t already know, my Grandpa was recently diagnosed with a form of lung cancer, Mesothelioma to be specific. Thusly, I've spent the past week in Coeur d’Alene at their house helping out. I’ve since witnessed some of the funniest moments of my entire life.

Earlier this morning, Grandma yelled at Grandpa about not eating enough breakfast these days. She went on to scold him about simply eating a small bowl of cereal and some peaches, saying he needed to make himself a more fulfilling breakfast.

Soon after, as Grandma read the paper, Grandpa quietly got my attention by winking a few times. He looked at his wife and quietly boomed: “Well, I think it’s time for a small bowl of cereal.”

Grandma – obviously not amused – peered around the corner of today’s Coeur d’Alene Press and glared deep into his soul (I could feel the burning from across their living room!).

“Ok,” he said. “I guess I wouldn’t say no if somebody brought me scrambled eggs and toast.”

Grandma obliged: “I will make that for you,” she said, before returning to her crossword puzzle.

Then, a minute or so later, she quipped: “You know, I’m going to keep track of all these little games you’re playing on me. And when you get better , I am going to make you pay.”

Then, a few seconds later, she said again, “I am going to make you pay.”

She brought him a warm breakfast, eggs, apple sauce and english muffins. “There ya go, kid,” she said, and set it in his lap.

“You know what,” he responded. “I think I’d rather just have cereal and toast.”

“I’m not even going to respond to that,” she answered.

I hit the floor laughing harder than ever.

___________________________________________________

Last night’s highlight, after Grandpa yelled at the TV:

Grandma: “Gene, has anyone ever told you that the TV can’t listen to you yelling?”

Grandpa: “Shirley, has anyone ever told you to shut up?”

0 Comments: