Thursday, July 1, 2010

The sky is falling!

Startrails 
This image is over 300 30-second images over a 3.5 hour time frame stacked on top of each other.

My new wife and I just started our honeymoon in Maui last two nights ago. Since she was knocked out by jet lag as the sun finally set, I set up the tripod on our balcony (Oh! Quick sidenote: We had originally booked a "garden view" room at the uber-nice Sheraton Maui on Black Rock, as anything else was insanely expensive. Well, upon checking in, we found out the hotel upgraded our room to an OCEAN FRONT view... at no extra cost! Booom shakka lakka!!!)

Anyway, I let the camera shoot one 30-second photo every 45 seconds for just over 3 hours, 30 minutes (it may have lasted longer if the batteries didn't die when I fell asleep).

Nevertheless, I was astonished at how visible the stars were with so much ground light shooting into the palm trees. I think a little over halfway into the video the lights on the ground dim lower, so next I may wait until 12:30 a.m. (that's about when they dimmed, according to my EXIF data) and start a new one. And this time I'll use brand new batteries, so we'll see what happens

 

0 Comments: