Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Night Video

Crystal Ballroom Traffic from Jake Donahue on Vimeo.

It’s no secret how obsessed I am with shooting photos at night. (See here, here, here and here… Get the picture?). However, one thing I’ve always wanted to play with was nighttime video.

I love photos of cars driving at night, the way they streak across the screen in just a red or white light. And I’ve seen videos of this effect elsewhere, so I know it’s not too hard to accomplish. Thus, why not combine the two. I’ve had this notion in the back of my mind for a few years.

Well, where better than downtown Portland?

Turns out I’m not the only one. I stumbled upon this website the other day where a guy specializes in just this sort of videography: Andrew Curtis – Time Lapse Photography. 

He is a friggin’ stud!

After seeing his site, I just had to finally buckle down and play with my camera. I figured a three minute video would suffice, and when all was said and done I finished with the 16-second scene above.

That just makes me wonder how long he spent making the following videos. This first video from Andrew Curtis is the original video I saw from him, and the rest are just mind-boggling!

The World Leaves Portland Behind from Andrew Curtis on Vimeo.

 

Dizzy Driving from Andrew Curtis on Vimeo.

 

Cinco De Mayo Carnival from Andrew Curtis on Vimeo.

0 Comments: