Saturday, March 13, 2010

Catching Water Drops

I recently downloaded a program called CHDK for my camera. It stands for Cannon Hack Development Kit. What it does is offer options on my camera that were previously not available. For example: Before I installed the hack my Canon S5 IS could only take a photo with a maximum shutter speed of 15 seconds. Well, when the CHDK firmware hack loads onto my camera from the memory card, I am able to shoot photos with the shutter open for over 30 minutes!

Conversely, while the fastest shutter speed available before the hack was only 1/3200 of a second, I now have the option to capture photos as fast as 1/100,000 of a second!

Thus, you can imagine my excitement when I realized I could probably shoot one of those famously popular water droplet photos. You know, when you catch a single water drop frozen in air over a pool of water. So, I set up camp in the kitchen this morning. With the black dishwasher as my background, I set a glass of water on an end-table and set up my tripod. A few shots into this experiment, and voila!

I promise that I didn’t alter either of these photos at all! All I did was bump up the brightness/contrast in Photoshop, increase the vibrancy a tad, and that was it!

IMG_6927

IMG_6925

1 Comment:

Elijah said...

These are sweet.