Monday, October 5, 2009

Who let the monkey out?

jakeduck

On Saturday the lowly Washington State Cougars faced off in Autzen Stadium in Eugene against the Oregon Ducks – and it was a friggin’ bloodbath. Knowing this, I decided to be as big a WSU fan as I could – after all, the Cougs needed all the support they could get.

So, I threw on my cougar shirt, some red shorts and tied a Wazzu blanket on my back as a cape. Not owning a Cougar mask, I did the next best thing: dawn a gorilla mask!

As you can tell from the photo, I wasn’t pretty. But I scared the hell out of Puddles (the Ducks’ mascot). Look at the left eye on his costume. Notice anything funny? I know it’s hard to tell from the photo it’s upside down. Yeah, I can’t prove it, but I like to think I scared him enough it popped off because of me.

But my crowning achievement may have come in front of a camera. The crew from Fox Sports Northwest’s weekly show “Cougars All-Access” taped me yelling, “Don’t go anywhere! Cougars All-Access will be right back!” The show is on Wednesday at 6 p.m.

What’s more, I must have posed in front of at least 20 separate cameras as people kept asking for my picture. Everywhere Ben, Jeff and I walked, we were stared at. Or, maybe, they were looking at my mask.

But I was a celebrity. Even if it was only for one afternoon!

0 Comments: