Sunday, January 4, 2009

My favorite photos from 2008

I took a lot of pictures over the past 12 months, mostly just snapshots of people, pets and such. However, I did try and capture some pretty cool landscapes and night shots. My favorite pictures are by far the shots that show lines of light due to a long shutter speed at night. But I’m still learning how to take those more effectively.

I used to think I was a phenom in Photoshop, but I’m now learning how much more you can do with it (i.e. shooting in RAW format, etc.). Thus, I don’t do much editing in Photoshop anymore as I’ll probably make it look worse than before. That will all change this spring, however, as the digital photography class I’m scheduled to take will hopefully brush me up a wee bit.

What’s more, my girlfriend bought me a brand new Cannon digital camera for my birthday, so I’m still learning to use that puppy. Hopefully I can hammer out some sweet night pics of the freeway in Portland while I am here. We will see.

Anyways, here are the favorite pictures I took in 2008:

 

New Barbeque

IMG_1910

Just after moving to Coeur d’Alene in the spring, John found me this little charcoal grill from a thrift store for only $8.50! We proceeded to use the thing almost daily, from ribs (see picture) to steaks, beer-can chicken, kabobs and roast. Life was grand. I eventually bought a new gas grill, as they are MUCH faster.

 

Oregon Waterfall

waterfallBW

This is actually three separate photos I merged together in Photoshop. Holly and I drove to Oregon for her mom’s 50th birthday bash (I got sick on the trip and conversely slept through 90% of the party!). I made Holly stop on the way down to Eugene, and once more on the way back to see this waterfall. It just looks way better in black and white.

 

Kansas City

IMG_2828

Not a real special photo by itself, but when I made Eli stand still in the middle of the road, I was waiting for a car to drive behind him so I could get those lines of light when you leave the shutter speed open. I almost got it, but the shutter closed before the car passed Eli. However, I think I like it better that way – it looks like the car disappears in Eli (coming from the right).

 

Gene the Hunter

IMG_2727

We were hunting at my grandparent’s house when my cousin, Gene, discovered this dying yellow jacket barely moving as the temperatures were dropping. Maybe it would look better as a vertical photo, but I just love the fact that my new camera has a depth of field!

 

Coeur d’Alene Sunset

IMG_2988

This is by far my favorite photo of 2008, and perhaps ever! I’ve never been great at capturing a bright sunset, but on this late summer evening the smoke from the burning fields outlined the sun splendidly! It took me 35 minutes and 4 loops on the freeway to find the perfect spot for this, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. It is so much more rewarding when you have to work for it.

0 Comments: