Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year’s Resolution: Consistency

Never in my life have I been one to follow a routine. Whether chalking up 8 hours of sleep on a regular basis or driving the same way to school or work, unbeknownst to be until just now I subconsciously seem to keep myself guessing. I never go to bed the same hour as the evening prior, and always wake up at different times the following morn – not to mention, more often than not I take different roads to school just to find a quicker route.

Even with my journalistic endeavors: I am adamant about certain design elements one day (even going as far as to vehemently convince those around me I am correct), then suddenly change my mind the next only to redesign the newspaper in my mind following each publication.

I rearrange my living room after nine months only to want a new arrangement a week later; obsess about the cleanliness of my kitchen for a month, then let dishes pile for a week; “beer before liquor, never been sicker:” those two get more interchanged than I care to admit.

There is not one steadfast element in my life I take serious enough to maintain a definite level of consistency. Even with this blog, which I fail to sustain as much as I wish. Stephen King once said the only way to become the best writer you can is to write every single day. That was my goal from day one: write every single day.

Well, as those around me make resolutions concerning their weight or smoking habits, I will yearn to maintain a minor level of consistency throughout certain aspects of my life – starting first with this blog.

Maybe I’ll follow that up with sticking to one route toward school. But as for the sleep thing, I certainly predict I will never be able to follow any pattern.

Baby steps. Baby steps.

0 Comments: