Saturday, January 3, 2009

Resolution #2

I finally got around to uploading my entire writing portfolio pertaining all things journalistic during my growing career at The Sentinel. Indeed, it got me thinking about how I’ve grown as a writer – or shrunk.

In the beginning, I actually worked my butt off to sound as eloquent as possible, sometimes too eloquent. If the dictionary is a ray of shining light to those who love crossword puzzles, then a thesaurus was my Bible. Even back in high school, I tried too hard (See next post, above).

Yet nowadays, I’m so obsessed with designing the newspaper that I put off my own articles to the very last minute and bust out a sub-par story that even I can’t bear to read. True, I hold myself to a much higher standard than any normal person would – or should! – but I feel that when the new semester begins I will spend as much time working on my writing as I do obsessing over design.

My goal as a writer when I returned to The Sentinel last term was to write more than I did during my first stint. I seemingly attained that goal, as when I calculated how each staff member contributed to the paper, I actually wrote more articles than anybody else!

Apparently, I reached my goal: Write as much as possible. Consequently, however, I spent more time worrying about quantity that I forgot to work on quality.

Thus, my second resolution this year (next to being more consistent), will be quality over quantity. I would much rather pen seven or so excellent articles than 15 mediocre stories.

0 Comments: