Monday, May 4, 2009

Idaho sucks

Let me rephrase that: The Idaho Press Club is retarded.

How else, then, would you explain this simple little fact: Among all colleges and universities in the Pacific Northwest (including Montana, Idaho, Alaska, Oregon and Washington), The Sentinel wins FIRST PLACE for non-daily newspapers. That's against every major non-daily newspaper!

Yet in our own state, the Idaho Press Club chalks us up second to the University of Idaho. I mean, seriously? 

No. Really. Seriously? 

What's more, we tied for second with Boise State. No offense to The Argonaut, I'm sure they do a great job. But we already beat them in a major award (they got third in the same category we won for SPJ). 

Then, while I'm obviously a modest individual seemingly never too worried about myself, I had but one wish: First place for Page Design.

Boom Shakka Lakka.... I got third. Third? Talk about a slap in the face. I would have rather not even been named than get third to Boise State and University of Idaho. Sheesh, that's depressing. I only wish I could see their entries, they better had been good. Had I not won nationally with the Society of News Design, I would have no room to talk.

But seriously? Third?

And with all due respect, The Argonaut down at UI is a good paper, as is Boise State. They publish multiple issues every week. Us? One every three. What's further, they are universities. I would hope they win, simply because we're but a two-year program. And I'm sure the judges took that into account.

I take solace in knowing some of the best staff members the University of Idaho has (or has ever had) came from North Idaho College.

I'm just a bitter, award-hungry editor on my last issue of a college paper ... ever. 

Way to go, I-duh-Ho!

0 Comments: