Friday, September 11, 2009

Fist pumps of fury

Fistfull
I was watching a Gillette commercial this morning when something hit me like a bat out of hell: the amount of athletes who “fist pump” after winning. I mean, just look at my little cornucopia above.
Looking back, however, I noticed that I have fallen victim as well. Whenever striking a batter out during my slow-pitch softball days, I, too, could be seen fisting the sky victoriously. Even following the most pedestrian of accomplishments (i.e. striking out a girl, catching a  routine fly ball to end the game, beating a video game, running a stop light near a cop and escaping or winning an argument against Holly) I often punch the clouds.
The origins of fist pumping date all the way back to the ‘50s: According to iLikeToFistPump.com, “Fist pumps were used in the 1950s and 1960s by kids wanting to get passing truck drivers to blow their air horns. The air horns were typically on the roof of the truck and a horizontal chain near the ceiling was pulled by the driver to sound the air horn. The kids used that gesture to get the truck driver to blow the horn and when successful would exclaim ‘YES!’
What’s more, fist pumping is also known as “Rock Concert Movement #2” at any Blue Man Group concert.
But there is no doubt that it’s the athletes for which this grandstand is famous. Perhaps my affinity toward this audacious act beckons from those same athletic celebrities, and I feel honored to fall into this category with such athletes:

kobe-pose 
Kobe Bryant
250px-Jeter 
Derek Jeter
maria-fist-pump 
Maria (I’m a hottie) Sharapova
tiger-woods-fist-pump
Tiger Woods
nadalDM_468x612 
Rafael Nadal
But every once in a while there are extremely special fist pumps. A little Google Images research and I uncovered some of the best fist pumps of recent memory:
71797724NG019_Clips_Lakers
The “Triple Pump”
fist-pump 
The “Little Leaguer”
fist 
The “Sarah Palin”
And lastly, perhaps the greatest fist pump of all-time:
jordan 
The Jordan

1 Comment:

Me~Kelly said...

any blog post that begins with a picture of brett favre cant be bad :) this baseball season my little guy displayed a lot of emotion on the mound despite his fathers repeated requests for a poker face. His fave? An animated fist pump of course. lovin the blog jake, thanks for the read!