Thursday, September 3, 2009

Art Institute of Chicago

I finally visited my first art museum. Oh, sure, I’ve been to a few, although I’ve never really spent time in them or truly cared. Why spend $18 to walk through a hall of paintings and sculptures when you can see them online for free?

Anyway, whilst dining and drinking in Indianapolis last Thursday, Nils, Eli and myself happened to run into a woman from Chicago who was pitching her business to us after a short while. She, too, was visiting Indy for a conference (not journalism, but museums). After a few beverages, she coughed up her membership card to the Art Institute of Chicago so that we may experience it free of charge – we just have to mail it back to her at some point.

It was exactly as I expected: Untalented photos blown up so big they looked cool (but still a photo even I could take); a 3’x3’ orange square; a green square of similar dimensions; large canvases with sprayed paint.

Long story short, I simply don’t comprehend how that is art. I have always believed art to be something difficult.

Nevertheless, I was excited to see a few paintings that I remembered from Art History at Oregon State. I was especially stoked when I saw a few Andy Warhol works, as my fiancée is obsessed with him. Here are some photos I took there (I had no idea they allowed cameras).

IMG_4807

IMG_4808

IMG_4809

IMG_4810

0 Comments: