Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Evolution of Jakewood (Part 2/3)

After reading that very first post of mine (see Part 1 of this series: Just below this post, I reposted my first blog), it has become painstakingly clear that while I once obsessed over writing as best I could for newspaper readers I now tailor a web-friendly prose. Dumber audience? Maybe. But people who read the newspaper look for intelligent, thought-provoking articles (I personally believe); those who scour the web are looking for a quick fix.
And thus, writing for the web sucks.
Like I mentioned in my first blogger post, I’ve evolved backwards in terms of sentence structure, variety and even vocabulary. I desperately need to seek out why! My entire scholastic career, I have taken full advantage of being able to articulate my exact thoughts in a well-written way. Now? My work is short, comma-ridden and not the way I once dreamed it would look.
There is, however, one major reason that could have possibly affected all of this: design. Perhaps, instead of taking the time to perfect my product I’ve skipped right along to selling it, if you will. If I make it look good, than anyone will read, right?
This has become incredibly evident as my blog evolved over the past 10 months: More often than not I spent as much time finding a “perfect” photo or playing in Photoshop as I did writing a blog post.
Then I got incredibly lazy: simply posting photos.
Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing lazy about a photo blog. Some of the blogs I read everyday are dedicated simply to photographs. Yet I originally started this blog to get myself writing. While photos are indeed a nice break from long, wordy posts, maybe I should have started a separate photo blog.
Too late now, as Jakewood is just one massive hodgepodge of text, photos and videos. Now that I think of it, maybe it’s better that way.

0 Comments: