Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Panel: Managing a newspaper

So it turns out this panel I’m going to be apart of in San Diego is not as big a deal as I originally imagined. Instead of standing in front of hundreds of young junior college journalists with an eye-popping PowerPoint slideshow showcasing all that makes The Sentinel amazing, in all actuality I’ll probably just be sitting at a table with two dimwitted managing editors from lesser schools.

Nevertheless, my unyielding effort of instilling a respect from those in attendance toward NIC has yet to waver. Although, considering I’ll be next to the editor from Spokane Falls Community College and another no-name from Ohio, it won’t take much to impress the room.

Hopefully that’s all I need, as I have yet to begin my presentation.

Frankly I have not one bit of advice that would work for another paper – where The Sentinel succeeds is in our ability to come together as a cohesive, name-calling, derogatory group of editors and writers and photographers under the dictatorship known as THE JAKE. Maybe that should be my speech?

0 Comments: