Wednesday, February 4, 2009

“A Whale’s Vagina”

“Discovered by the Germans in 1904,” says Ron Burgandy, “they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.”ron_burgundy

Since the movie Anchorman came out in 2004, I have yearned to visit the home of the Chargers. And now, only five years later, I have my chance: The Associated Collegiate Press’ Spring Journalism Convention.

Now, as much as I wish I could say Ron Burgundy is my greatest inspiration to visit this glorious city just minutes from Tijuana’s famous donkey show, alas, I have other motives: My ego.

You see, my greatest satisfaction from a similar convention held in Kansas City last October came when The Sentinel won “Best of Show” (the only school to win that in TWO categories, thank you very much…). Yet that was to be expected, as the paper won one of those same awards the previous year. Not to mention, a pacemaker (only three papers in our division were named that prestigious honor).

I’m used to the paper winning awards. What I’m not used to, however, is The Sentinel sweeping every award they can. And that is my only goal this year. But to enter the spring west coast convention “Best of Show” contest, somebody from the school must be present. Who better than the managing editor?

imageThe only problem: Last issue of The Sentinel (as much as I praised it’s design/layout earlier) was friggin’ horrible! There were more spelling mistakes and typos, even blatant screw-ups that should have been caught my copy editors – not me! – to make this issue a no-go for SD. That means the upcoming issue, next week, must be absolutely perfect!

I have no doubt we will succeed. We always seem to come together when it matters most.

So if we take home gold in Southern California, the next competition is New York with the College Media Advisors annual convention. I won’t be attending that convention, however we’ve won for a decade straight (with MUCH worse papers), thus I am not worried.

San Diego, moreover, is my only concern right now. We take S.D., then the Big Apple, then all that’s left is the Idaho Press Club, SPJ Region 10 Mark of Excellence and then Pacemaker this fall.

The best year of the Sentinel (as far as my research shows) is winning all but two of those. So as long as we take all but one – the SPJ is my only true concern, although the issues we submitted were incredibly superior – I have faith in closing this year on top. I’m not cocky, just confident.

You stay classy, San Diego.

0 Comments: