Thursday, March 19, 2009

iPhone on my Blackberry!

The apps so commonly associated with the iPhone are slowly trickling down to the grasping hands of Blackberry Storm owners. Oh, sure, the official app store for the Storm (affectionately dubbed App World) won't be released until later this month, but geeks worldwide have united to produce apps, games, themes - you name it! - that can be downloaded for free (though some cost $$$) onto my Blackberry Storm.There's the lightsaber app, the level app, the tip calculator and the marble on the wooden table that requires you to tilt your phone and let the marble "roll" across the screen. I've got all those, already, but I'm still shaking as I wait for the official store to open, so I know I'm not just downloading some MIT geek's drunken brainchild.


Nevertheless, when I saw the following app I was amazed. (Let me preface the rest of this post by declaring that I absolutely, undoubtedly, wholeheartedly am obsessed with my Blackberry, and in no way, shape or form would ever trade it for an iPhone - EVER). However, that doesn't mean there are certain aspects of Steve Jobs' invention that I truly do admire.

Take this, for example (I photoshopped two screenshots together, but this is what my phone actually looks like with the iPhone screen lock running...):




Yes, when my BLACKBERRY STORM is now locked, it looks exactly like a locked iPHONE! What's better, though, is that it is NOT an iPhone! It just looks like one. The best of both worlds, indeed!

But, then I discovered I could take this whole app ordeal one step further.

For, you see, they also offer/sell "themes" for my phone. Instead of just changing the background picture of my home screen, I can actually create a whole new - for lack of a better word - environment, where I can change the look/feel of the buttons, layout, etc.

So, when scrolling through the Blackberry forums last night researching all the bells and whistles associated with my phone (I've this thing since November, yet learn new tricks weekly), I stumbled upon the closest substitute for owning my own Mac computer:


Woo hoo! My storm now resembles the computer I spend all day on at school! 

For comparison purposes, here is a screenshot of what the original "theme" looked like (mind you, my background was not the lightning storm, but rather a picture of my gorgeous girlfriend):


So now I'm buried in my phone, researching the forums every day until I finally find that glorious simulated beer-drinking app that I see on everybody's iPhone. Except it will be so much greater when it finally works on my Storm!

0 Comments: