Sunday, March 29, 2009

Portland or Bust

On Friday, after a ridiculous decision to play late-night quarters with Nick and David (indeed, shades of San Diego all over again…), I decided to head over to Seattle and see my bro and his family. Mind you, this decision to hit the Emerald City before Portland was made just two days before leaving Coeur d’Alene. And while I had to scramble by packing the morning of my departure, not to mention designing a newsletter for the athletic department – and a golf team flier – I hit Seattle just in time for 5 o’clock traffic: The worst traffic in America. With a hangover? Mother of God.

But holy hell, it was so worth it!

Even though Gonzaga lost Friday to UNC, Michael (my elder brother) and I met up with some family and hit two bars before succumbing to 4 a.m. McDonalds in a taxi. The next morning his two sons compared their hungover uncle Jake and dad as twins: Both snoring and sleeping in until the afternoon. Laura, their mother, even bought us burgers and Gatorade when we woke up at 1 p.m. I love that house.

It got better (though it got worse, first, after a hellacious 3-hour drive in a pouring, pounding, monsoon-like downpour from Seattle to Portland) when I finally saw Holly and her family.

Best. Saturday. Ever.

0 Comments: