Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ripped Off!!

Lately I’ve been on a photo frenzy, trying to rally as many sweet shots of my hometown as possible before bouncing to Oregon. And while I’ve never considered myself more than a novice at the photographic art, I do take pride in knowing that I have successfully shot a few good slides in my attempts.

Knowing this, and the fact that I’m never shy of recognition (especially when I deserve it), I was aloof when I stumbled upon this little ditty at the Coeur d’Alene Chamber of Commerce:

Untitled-1

Instantly, I knew that photo looked familiar – and it wasn’t a photo I had seen somewhere before. Well, actually, I had seen that photo before.

Through my camera lens!

A few years ago I wrote a story about North Idaho College offering a sailing program, and the fact that this sailboat’s owner was also considering erecting an athletic sailing team since Lake Coeur d’Alene offers an immense opportunity to build a successful program.

So, I took a rental boat from work out one day and shot some easy photos with my old digital point-and-shoot. Nothing spectacular, but enough to add a visual element on the page. And in all actuality, the photo above was not even the photo I used in the paper.

Well, I went through my computer, and low-and-behold, look what I found: The rough, unedited, original photo that the Cd’A Chamber has been using for who knows how long:

Sailboat 2

It figures, one of the lesser-quality shots I’ve taken over the past years is the one that actually gets recognized. Anyway, I’ve since e-mailed the Chamber to see, firstly, how did they even get the photo? I don’t remember sending it anywhere. And secondly, will they at least put my name on it? They do on the others, so I might as well get some sort of credit.

After all, now I can say I’m a published photographer in something outside The Sentinel.

0 Comments: